August 10, 2015
Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Director Mike Zimmer
P.O. Box 30004
Lansing, MI 48909
Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Director Nick Lyon
Capitol View Building
201 Townsend Street
Lansing, Michigan 48913
Dear Directors Zimmer and Lyon:
As I am sure you are aware, there now have been five publicly released videos in which Planned Parenthood executives can be seen discussing the possible skirting of laws and regulations regarding the sale of aborted fetuses. Specifically, the fifth video contains an apparent admission by a senior Planned Parenthood official that the organization illegally alters abortion methods to obtain parts for sale and uses accounting gimmicks and shifting “line items” to hide the illegal sale of body parts as part of a “diversification of the revenue stream.”
The videos depict potential illegal activity in Texas, Colorado and California, but warrant attention from regulating agencies in every state. Michigan residents deserve to know whether such atrocities are being committed in our own state. As the regulating bodies for Michigan, what assurances can your departments give that illegal practices are not occurring here?
For instance, to the extent possible, I would appreciate receiving this and other information you would deem relevant to the main inquiry:
- What are the inspection protocols and practices?
- Are the inspections you mention based on the call for an investigation or are they ongoing?
- Approximately how many inspections have been completed and what were the results? Please provide the date of the most recent inspection at each facility and how the specific concerns raised in this letter were addressed in that inspection.
- Are inspections scheduled or unscheduled?
- Have any affiliates received money for fetal tissue?
If more oversight mechanisms would benefit your respective departments in providing assurances, I would also be interested in hearing your recommendations for those.
Again, thank you for your prompt response.