LANSING—Sen. Phil Pavlov, R-St. Clair Township, on Wednesday hosted the winners of his 2014 Be a Senator For a Day summer reading contest at the Michigan Capitol.
Twelve students from Lapeer and St. Clair counties traveled to Lansing with their parents to participate in a mock swearing-in ceremony and committee hearing and a guided Capitol tour.
After taking their “oaths of office” in the Senate chamber and a guided tour of Michigan’s historic, 134-year-old Capitol, the “junior senators” vigorously debated the merits of a hypothetical bill to require uniforms in Michigan’s public schools in a mock committee hearing chaired by Pavlov.
“Reading is one of the best skills we can encourage to help children achieve their fullest potential and enrich their lives with all the joys and experiences that books can bring,” Pavlov said. “Our libraries do a wonderful job with this program, and I’m grateful to partner with them in this endeavor.”
The summer reading contest was held throughout the summer and was open to all first- through fifth-grade students in Lapeer and St. Clair counties who completed their local public library’s summer reading program.
Pavlov’s office received more than 300 entries for the competition and randomly selected winners from each participating library.
The 2014 contest winners are:
• Mia Bommarito, fourth grade, Pine River Elementary
• Zackary Dickenson, fourth grade, Landmark Academy
• Andrew Ellul, third grade, Fair Haven Elementary
• Madelyn Fowler, fourth grade, Yale Elementary
• Lauren Fowler, second grade, Yale Elementary
• Sophia Garcia, fourth grade, home school
• Emma Kent, fourth grade, Borland Elementary
• Charles Renard, third grade, home school
• David Russell, second grade, home school
• Emily Vermeesch, fifth grade, Capac Elementary
• Roman Ward, third grade, home school
• Emma Wilson, fifth grade, Gearing Elementary
• Austin Wilson, third grade, Palms Elementary
Note: For a print-quality version of this or other Pavlov photos, click the image or click the Photowire link in the Media Center tab, above.